Do you ever wonder how to ACTUALLY PRACTICE SPEAKING JAPANESE (without feeling like you’re going to die of embarrassment)?
Would you like a painless way to STOP PROCRASTINATING and START COMMUNICATING in Japanese?
Join the Japanese London Conversation Club. 👇 Click here to book your space. It’s ONLINE & FREE!
‘It forced me to speak in Japanese, which is something I have trouble with anyway. It was also nice meeting some other people learning the language. I also really liked the helper sheet you sent through beforehand.’ Adam, April 2020
Get better at speaking Japanese by, errr… speaking Japanese.
I know, I know. BUT it can be difficult to even find the chance.
That’s why I’m THRILLED to invite you to join our community of people just like you & I. That is, Japan-fans who love all things Japan (as well as native Japanese speakers).
Make speaking Japanese as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Prepare your jikoshokai (self-introduction) in Japanese. Don’t worry, I’ll send you a sample & script.
- Pick 1 Japan-related thing (a book you recommend, a special pen, your fave cup, an essential ingredient, anything…) & plan to tell us about it in just 3-5 sentences. Again, I’ll send you a sample & script.
- Join for the club to SHOW & TELL in small groups of native & non-native Japanese speakers.
Japanese London Conversation Club FAQs
WHEN: Every 1st & 3rd Thursday of the month, 6.30 – 7.30pm
WHERE: ZOOM baby!
WHO: Any level of Japanese speakers
WHAT: Smalltalk is such as important skill, but it can be hard to know what to talk about.
Talking about a Japan-related object via ‘Show & Tell’ avoids those bum-clenching silences you’d need a samurai sword to cut through!
WHY: When I ask most people who are learning Japanese to rate their confidence in speaking Japanese, they usually sit somewhere between “Best Not Talk About It” and “Serious Cringe.”
Barely anyone I speak to feels confident that they’ve got theirs sussed EVEN if they been studying for years!
It can feel like a battle to actually practice speaking Japanese.
If you’re learning Japanese through textbooks, Duolingo and flashcards, but never ACTUALLY SPEAKING Japanese to other real human beings, you’re not alone!
But here’s the thing…it doesn’t have to be that way.
I know this, because I’m a Japanese learner too!
Click here to book your space on Eventbrite.👇 It’s FREE!
‘It was great there was a bit of content to speak about. I thought that was a good way to do it as it’s not so cold as speaking amongst us which was a bit more difficult for me as I am too shy LOL. ARIGATO GOSAIMASHITA!’ Narcis, April 2020
I’m Vanessa, and I host the Japanese London Conversation Club: Online.
I created JapaneseLondon.com in 2010, to round up all the Japanese people, places, & things in London that mean so much to me.
I also connect students to native Japanese tutors for private 1-1 lessons.
I’m obsessed with learning about Japanese philosophies & ways of doing things (Wabi Sabi, Shinrin Yoku, Ikigai), calligraphy, Japanese food, & last but not least, matcha tea flavoured sweets – especially soft serve sundaes. 💚
Although I absolutely love everything Japan-related, I have often struggled to be confident enough to ACTUALLY SPEAK TO PEOPLE IN JAPANESE.
That’s why I created the Japanese London Conversation Club! WELCOME!
Japanese English Conversation Club: Online IS for:
- 🙆 ANY LEVEL of Japanese learners – beginners – who can speak Japanese a little, or all the way to more advanced speakers (just be patient!)
- 💁 Native Japanese speakers who want to chat to people in London, in Japanese & English
- 🙆🏿♀️ People who used to live in Japan, or studied in the past, but whose skills are rusty from lack of use!
NOT for you, if you:
- 🙅🏽 Don’t want to speak or listen to informal Japanese language chat
- 🙅🏻♂️ Are looking for a structured Japanese language lesson (this is conversation practice)
Japanese English Conversation Club: Online – sample timetable
- Group jikoshokai (self intro) & chatting about the weekly topic – 15 min
- Breakout group 1st session JAPANESE – 15 min
- Breakout group 2nd session (change rooms) ENGLISH – 15 min
- Breakout group 3rd session (change rooms) JAPANESE – 15 min
- Group sayonara (goodbye & screenshot) 😉 – 5 min
Any questions, feel feel to drop me a line: email@example.com
‘That was bloody brilliant and I had so much fun!! Thank you so much for arranging this and it was so nice to speak to so many nice people too! Let’s keep in touch!! P.S I can’t believe you have eaten guinea pig!! Anthony, April 2020
Hope to ‘meet’ you soon!
If you’re ready to SPEAK, click the button below to grab your space in our next club meeting today. It’s FREE! 👇